Followers

Thursday, March 5, 2015

False Prophets, Sometimes Known as Friends


There was an interesting conversation going on recently about false prophets and our need to stay away from them.  I understand that many people in leadership positions can lead people astray, but I think that in order to avoid false prophets, we need to know what the term really means.  I believe it's more than those in power leading their followers astray.  I think it happens on a daily basis in our lives if we are not careful.

I find the verse I used in my header very insightful.  It comes from The Book of Mormon in 3 Nephi 14:15.  The full verse reads, "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." If we think about this verse, a false prophet is just someone who really doesn't want what is best for you.  Do you let these people into your life?  Are you one of these people?

There are a few ways that people act as false prophets in our lives and we allow it, as well as ways we act as false prophets to others.  This is something that I am working on now ever since I had this thought.  Here are some ways I believe we or other people act as false prophets that we might not consider:

  1. Supporting each other in unkind feelings.
  2. Telling someone they would be justified in abusive acts, whether emotional, verbal, or physical.
  3. Laughing at actions that are not funny.  I'm not talking about someone tripping and they start the laughing, I'm talking laughing at a sarcastic comment that was made after someone tried to bear their soul.  Or laughing at a joke that was told in bad taste.  You get the drift.
  4. Expressing blanket statements as if they are truth for everyone.  We all have our own journey, worry about yours more than others.
  5. Refusing to see the other side of a story.
I could go on, but these are the things I've been thinking of lately.  There is a reason why these constitute actions of false prophets.  It's because they are perpetuating false doctrines and are not Christlike.  False prophets speak false principles.

Now, I'm not sitting here judging others from some castle where I feel that I am better than others.  I fall into these same issues at times in my life as well.  The question is, what can we do about it?  I think the answer is simple to state, but hard to truly put into action.  The answer is this: Love One Another.

That's all for me today.  I've disabled comments again because this post is meant for reflection.  If you'd like to email me your thoughts, you may do so.  I'll be back soon with another post!